Languages & Interpreter Services
Humber River Hospital offers Interpretation Services to patients and family members who may have difficulty speaking or understanding English. These services provide access to trained interpreters who can speak more than 175 languages – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are able to connect with an interpreter usually within 30 seconds. Any member of your health care team is able to access these services.
About our Interpreter Services
- The Services can be used any time
- They are private and confidential
- They can be used when you are in the hospital
- If you phone the hospital, an interpreter can come on the line to speak with you
- There is no charge to use the telephone interpretation service
If you would like to arrange to have an interpreter who speaks your language, including sign language, please inform hospital staff before your visit (if possible) and they will be sure to make the necessary arrangements.
Read more about Interpretation Services at HRH
The hospital provides a variety of devices for people with hearing or sight disabilities such as:
- Amplifier telephone with volume/tone control, lighted keypad and large numbers.
- Teletypewriter (TTY) telephone, including lights.
- Pocket Talker Amplifying Devices.
- Braille talking telephones.
If you require an assistive device, please inform the clinic/unit staff in advance of your visit to Humber River, and they will make the necessary arrangements. Accessible telephones are available throughout the Hospital.
You can contact the hospital using the TTY line: 1-800-855-0511.