Full-time (Please quote competition # 13.0705)
Part-Time (Please quote competition # 13.0706)
The Humber River Family Health Team (HRFHT), a growing, multi-site FHT that provides collaborative, inter-professional, comprehensive primary health care to a rostered population of patients in the northwest Greater Toronto Area (GTA) with a range of complex healthcare needs and very diverse backgrounds, living. The FHT is committed to holistic, compassionate, patient-centred care emphasizing disease and illness prevention, chronic disease management, harm reduction and health promotion.
The HRFHT seeks one full-time and one part-time (.5) pharmacist with excellent interpersonal, clinical and counselling skills. The incumbent will be responsible for evening and weekend assignments at multiple FHT sites. The Pharmacist will report to the Executive Director.
Purpose of Position:
As a member of an inter-professional primary care team, the primary role of the pharmacist is to provide pharmacological consultation, counselling, education and information to other team members and patients, and assist in the management of medications and medication use within the Family Health Team. The Pharmacist will support patient care and the delivery of programs including healthy lifestyles, chronic disease, palliative care, cancer care, reproductive, child and women’s health and geriatric care. The pharmacist will also contribute to educational, community relations, client advocacy and other organizational initiatives.
The Pharmacist will monitor and follow up pharmacotherapeutic treatment and plans and collaborate with other team members to improve medication management for chronic diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidemia, COPD, asthma and heart failure. He or she will provide physicians and team members with current information and guidelines on new drugs, contraindications, therapeutic use of drugs, and other information to assist in the provision of quality, evidence-based care to patients. The Pharmacist will also participate in individual and group education sessions for patients and providers, and facilitate referrals to other services as well as communication between the primary care practice and hospital or home care to ensure smooth transition for medication related care. He or she will recommend policies and uniform procedures regarding management of medications, and recommend improvements to the medication use process at practice site(s) to enhance safety and efficiency (e.g. handling of samples, administration of medications, documentation, etc.).
- B.Sc. (Pharmacy) and registration in Part A of the Ontario College of Pharmacists. Community or Hospital Pharmacy residency or equivalent clinical experience in either setting is required
- Additional training or credentialing in pharmacotherapy is considered an asset (e.g., Certified Geriatric Pharmacist, Certified Diabetes Educator, Certified Asthma Educator, Certified Respiratory Educator, TEACH certification for Smoking Cessation, Cardiovascular Certificate Program)
Experience, Skills and other Competencies:
- Demonstrated clinical skills in assessment, program planning, implementation and evaluation
- Minimum one year of demonstrated clinical experience, preferably in a community health setting
- Work effectively and flexibly, both independently and as part of an inter-disciplinary team.
- Knowledge and experience in community health, chronic disease management, health promotion and illness prevention.
- Knowledge and experience in the application of electronic medical records (EMR).
- Able to work flexible hours (evenings and weekend work required).
- Possess a valid Ontario Driver’s license and have access to a vehicle.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume in strictest confidence to: (please quote the competition number in email subject line as well as position title)
Humber River Family Health Team
c/o Human Resource Department
The successful candidate will work for the Humber River Family Health Team and will have no employment relationship with the Humber River Hospital. The Terms and conditions of employment will be decided by the Family Health Team.
We thank applicants for their interest however we will only be contacting those selected for interview.