Humber River Hospital is proud to provide a comprehensive program to care for seniors in the hospital and in the community. Our programs and services provide care, help patients care for themselves at home, and help prevent injury and hospital visits.
Our inpatient acute care unit treats patients with acute illness. The unit also focuses on maintaining functional ability.
Our healthy living clinic helps patients going through changes in their physical, mental or functional ability. This could mean:
- Suffering a fall
- Impaired mobility
- Experiencing dementia
- Experiencing delirium
- Change in mood
- Decreased ability for self-care
- Major changes in support needs
- Caregiver stress
- Consideration of institutional placement
- Safety concerns
- Sudden increase in use of health care services over the last 6 months
We are also proud to have a strong falls prevention program in place. We also teach seniors in our community how to help prevent falls at home. Patients in this program will:
- Receive a consultation and physiotherapy assessment to determine needs.
- Participate in group exercise classes to improve strength, balance and walking ability.
- Learn about strategies to improve safety at home.
- Learn about resources in the community that can help.
- Develop a customized home exercise program.