Paediatrics – In-patient
Welcome to the Humber River Hospital Paediatrics In-patient Unit. We strive to provide a comfortable family-friendly environment for our patients and their families. We provide care for children up to 18 years of age and we always encourage caregivers to stay with their children or teens.
Our Paediatrics In-Patient Unit has a compassionate team of experienced healthcare professionals that are dedicated to providing you with the best care possible during your stay.
The Paediatrics In-Patient Unit at Humber River Hospital provides the best quality care for your child or teen in a comfortable setting. Our 12-Bed Inpatient Unit provides care to patients up to 18 years of age. We are proud to have an experienced and dedicated team that will work to help support you and your child through their stay with us.
Our Paediatric In-Patient Unit provides a variety of services to patients including our 12-bed Children’s Inpatient Unit, surgical daycare and endoscopy program, acute medical and surgical care and our Child Life Program.
In our acute medical and surgical care program, our team cares for children at moderate risk for complications and complex conditions or the stabilization of acutely or critically ill children prior to transfer to Tertiary Centre.
Our Child Life Program has Childlife Specialists available to work with children and families to help them cope with the challenges of hospitalization, illness and surgery. During their stay parents are shown how to support their child through medical procedures using therapeutic play and supportive interventions.
- Our goal is a comforting family-friendly environment which is why we provide spacious private rooms for parents and caregivers to comfort their children.
- We encourage parents or caregivers to stay with their children overnight to keep them comfortable. Each room has a sleeper bed for someone to sleep comfortably.
- We have an on-unit playroom for children and teens to use during the daytime.
What to Expect
- A team of healthcare professionals ready to make your stay comfortable
- Toys and craft materials are available for your child to use during their stay.
- Your child will be provided meals throughout their stay. Any visitors or caregivers will need to bring their own food.
- We encourage parents and siblings to visit. If you have exceptional visiting needs please speak to one of our staff to help you arrange this. Visitors will need to complete a health screening to keep all of our patients on the unit safe.