Humber River Healths Level IIC Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is here to provide the best care possible for our patients and their families. We provide care to sick newborns greater than 30 weeks gestation and 1200 grams.
Our NICU has 16 beds, including specialized care for babies with special needs, especially those related to prematurity.
Our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit provides compassionate care for sick newborns. Our unit has 16 beds available to provide care for our patients. Our team of experienced healthcare professionals consists of a Paediatrician / Neonatologist, Registered Nurses, Dieticians, Social workers, Lactation consultants, Pharmacists, Respiratory Therapists, Child Life Specialists, and Occupational Therapists.
As a Level IIC NICU, our team can provide a variety of services:
- We provide an inter-disciplinary approach to Initial and ongoing care of sick newborns greater than 30 weeks gestation and 1200 grams.
- Resuscitation and stabilization of all neonates born in the hospital and awaiting transfer to tertiary centres
- Care for babies requiring short-term assisted ventilation
- Care for neonates of at/or high-risk births
- Family integrated care including
- Parent classes – nutrition for mom and baby; breastfeeding; parent support and discharge planning; developmental and stimulation and CPR classes
- Participation in interdisciplinary rounds
- Kangaroo care
- Our interdisciplinary team will provide your child with the best care possible
- Our connections with Tertiary Centres mean that we can ensure patients receive care at the appropriate centre for their needs.
- We provide family-integrated care to support our patients and their families.
What to Expect
- We have a 16-bed unit equipped to treat patients greater than 30 weeks gestation and 1200 grams
- We welcome parents to visit or stay with their baby 24 hours a day